How many times have you clicked on the Gravatar image of somebody who has left a comment on a blog post and not been able to find their blog details? Frustrating, isn’t it?
The image that appears next to a comment is known as a Gravatar.
Here’s an example.
If I hover my mouse over Debbie’s image on her Gravatar, the following happens.
A little more information about Debbie appears. If I wanted to find Debbie’s blog, I need to click on the ‘View Complete Profile‘ button.
When I do that, I’m taken to her full Gravatar page.
Debbie’s websites, including her blog, are listed towards the bottom of the page. I’ve marked them in the above image. All I have to do is click on the ‘Deb’s World‘ blog image (under ‘Websites’) and, hey presto, I’m taken straight to her blog.
But how do I add my blog and social media accounts to my Gravatar profile?
- Using a search engine, search for Gravatar.
- Sign into Gravatar by using your WordPress sign in details or by clicking on the ‘sign in’ button (top right of the page).
- You’ll be taken to your Gravatar page.
- Click on ‘My Profile.’
- If necessary, add or update your profile details on your profile page before clicking on the ‘Websites’ button located in the righthand menu. Remember to save any changes.
- On the next screen, click on the ‘Add WordPress.Com Site’ button to add your WordPress blog.
- Select the WordPress blogs you want to add and click on ‘Add Checked.’
- Your WordPress blog has now been added to your Gravatar.
- To add other websites such as your Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites, click on the ‘Add Website’ button and complete the details under ‘Add a Website.‘ However, you must ensure you’ve connected them to your WordPress blog first, otherwise, it won’t work.
- To remove a website, click on the ‘X’ next to the account you want to delete.
Why is it necessary to add my blogs, social media accounts and other websites to my Gravatar?
So that people can find you easily. Most people won’t bother looking for your blog or social media accounts if they’re not easy to find. Help yourself. Help your readers.
Let’s wrap it up.
- Anyone who leaves a comment on a blog post will have a Gravatar.
- Your Gravatar gives you the chance to advertise your blogs, websites and social media accounts for free, so make sure you’ve added them.
- Adding links to a Gravatar is easy to do and helps people find your blogs, websites and social media accounts.
- Just like the ‘about me‘ page on your blog, don’t forget to keep your Gravatar updated and check regally to fix any broken links, add new links or to remove links to accounts you no longer use.
Is your blog attached to your Gravatar? Are you sure? Check now and let me know if you had to add it. If you have any questions about Gravatars, leave me a comment and I’ll get back to you.
Layout, content, and format might differ on self-hosted blogs.
Click on the image to check out my first post, How Blogging and Rod Serling Helped Me Conquer Dyslexia, on my new column at the Carrot Ranch.
Looking for more blogging tips? Check out this recent blog post.
Your chance to catch up on 6 blog posts from me that contain blogging tips.
Copyright © 2021 hughsviewsandnews.com – All rights reserved.