Sharing the blog posts of other bloggers is something the majority of bloggers like to do. But is there a safe way to do it without facing the possibility of copyright infringement?
In January 2022, I published a guest post by author and writer Deborah Jay where she shared a story of how she faced a copyright infringement fine simply for reblogging the blog post of another blogger. You can read Deborah’s post here.
The ‘Press This’ feature on WordPress is simple to use and (when used correctly) removes all the possibilities of being fined for copyright infringement. It also comes with other benefits that reblogging a post does not have.
How To Use Press This.
- Ensure you are in the Default view of your blog’s dashboard, not the Classic view mode.
- Click on Settings – Writing.
- On the Writing Settings page, scroll down to Publishing Tools (at the bottom) and look for the Press This button.
- Drag and drop the Press This button to somewhere you can access it quickly when reading blog posts. I dragged it from the bottom of the Writing Settings page and placed it on the ‘favouites bar’ of my desktop computer, where it’s visible while I am on the internet.
- When you find a blog post, you want to share, click the Press This button.
- A new window will open, but you can close it down as a draft copy of the post you wish to share will be in your draft folder.
- Open the draft you have just created. In the images below, you’ll see one of my blog posts which I have made via the Press This button.
- Before publishing the post, you need to add tags and categories. To do this, click on the meatball/kebab menu next to the post (the three dots) and click on Edit.
- Not only can you add tags and categories, but you can also edit the post, add an excerpt, and add your own images and photos.
- Don’t worry about the left alignment of the link created by ‘Press This’, as in most cases, it will be centred when the post is published. However, I recommend you preview the post before publishing it, as the theme you use may not automatically centre it.
- Save the draft.
- As soon as you’re happy, either click the publish button or schedule it to publish on a date and time that suits you.
What are the most significant benefits of Press This over Reblogging?
- No images from the post get downloaded into your media library, so there is no risk of copyright infringement.
- You do not use up any valuable space in your media library.
- You can edit and add tags and categories before publishing the post— no need to go back to it after publication to add details or leave it as an uncategorised post.
Sub note: Unfortunately, the ‘Press There’ sharing button at the bottom of blog posts is not working correctly. Therefore, the above method for sharing via ‘Press This’ is recommended.
Do you have any questions about Press This? Please leave them in the comments section.
Layout, content, settings, and format might differ on self-hosted blogs.
Looking for more blogging tips? Click on the ‘Blogging Tips’ and ‘Block Editor – How To’ buttons on the menubar of my blog.
Follow Hugh on social media. Click on the buttons below.
Copyright © 2022 hughsviewsandnews.com – All rights reserved.