You may wonder why any blogger would want to unsubscribe somebody from following their blog. However, there are genuine reasons why some people want to do this.
For example, there may be a blogger who is horrified that one of the managers from their office has subscribed. Or a member of the family has found your blog where you share some intense feelings about family and friends.
Why do people follow blogs?
Isn’t it because they enjoy reading the content? Not necessarily.
When I first started to blog, I began asking why some people wanted to follow me. For example, why was a womenswear company and a blog that sold coach holidays following my blog?
At the time, I was not writing and publishing any blogging or social media tips, so I could not understand what interest they had in my content.
They never ‘liked’ or left comments on any of my blog posts, yet I was still conscious that they were lurking in the background as if waiting for the right moment to pounce on me.
Some of them may have been playing the ‘follow you, so you follow me’ game, but I soon realised that all they wanted was to try and sell me something.
At the time, I was delighted with watching the number of followers increase, but there may be occasions when you want to unsubscribe somebody from following your WordPress blog.
Here’s how to do it.
- On the dashboard of your blog, go to Manage and click on People.
- Click on Followers
- Find the person you want to unsubscribe from your blog and click on the Remove button next to their name.
- You’ll get a message asking you to confirm that you want to continue with the unsubscription. Click on the remove button in the message to confirm.
- You can also do the same for email followers.
There is nothing stopping people from still viewing your blog and trying to subscribe again, but you’ll get a notification if they try and subscribe.
By unsubscribing them from your blog, they will get no notifications that you have published any new blog posts. Nor will they know that you have unsubscribed them from your blog.
Is there anything else to consider?
Yes. Remember too, that after unsubscribing somebody from your blog, you may also like to do the same with your social media accounts.
This is especially important if any new blog posts you publish are instantly shared to your social media accounts.
Of course, if you do have reasons for not wanting certain people finding your blog or social media accounts, it’s probably a better idea to use a pseudonym and not to publish any photos of yourself on your blog or on your social media accounts.
You can also block people from leaving comments. My blog post Is Your Blog Under Attack? explains how to do this.
These days, because I publish a lot of blogging and social media tips, I’m not so concerned who follows my blog anymore. However, I will remove or block anyone who keeps trying to sell me something I don’t want or need.
- There are genuine reasons why people want to unsubscribe somebody from following their blog.
- Follow the steps in this post to unsubscribe people from following your blog.
- Remember to do the same on your social media accounts.
- Just as when you unfollow somebodies blog, people you unsubscribe do not get notified that you have unsubscribed them.
- Unsubscribing somebody does not mean they can no longer view your blog, but they will stop receiving notifications of any new blog posts you publish.
- Consider using a pseudonym on both your blog and your social media accounts if you don’t want anyone to know your real identity.
- Block users you do not want to receive any comments from.
What about you?
- Did you know you can unsubscribe individuals from following your blog?
- Are there any reasons why you would unsubscribe somebody from following your blog?
- Have you ever unsubscribed or blocked someone from following your blog or leaving comments?
Join the discussion by leaving me a comment that I can respond to with more than just a ‘thank you.’
Did you enjoy reading this post? Then you may also like…
These are 21 things I did to my WordPress blog to help freshen it up, make it standout and bring in more visitors.
Copyright © 2020 hughsviewsandnews.com – All rights reserved.